|resources:||Home Mailing List Installation Source Code Members Screenshots|
JS Console is a Mozilla/Firefox extension to ease the developer work.
JS Console fills the gap: not only you can type in hundreds or thousands lines of code to evaluate, but you can also save this code to a file and later reload it to make some change.
At any time, you can evaluate the code you typed in an have an immediate result of the evaluation.
If any exception is thrown by your code, it is displayed in the Errors panel and you can save the error message to a file.
You can insert debugging instructions in your code and those instructions will be displayed in another panel: the Output panel, which you can save too.
All commands are gathered in contextual menus which mimize mouse gestures. So you have a simple but powerful tool to exercize you coding skills (there are keyboard shortcuts for many of these menu entries).
JS Console relies on a standalone Mozilla extension, Mozlib (installed with JS Console package), which provides usefull general purposes classes:
- an XPCOM wrapper singleton class to give access to any XPCOM component or interface (JS Console uses it everywhere),
- a stdout class to dump messages to the shell console (if you launch Mozilla from a shell console),
- a DOM monitor class to ease DOM elements management,
- a full set of classes for local file I/O (used by load and save commands),
- a full set of classes for RDF datasources management,
- a prompt class to easily call the different kinds of interactive alert boxes,
- a script loader class to evaluate the content of any script file in the middle of your code (even in conditional constructs). So you can easily use any library you have already developed.
- Import script file(s) function
- Full stack trace function for debugging
- Unit testing framework for test first design development
- Code loading from local file system
- Code, output or errors result saving to local file system
- Code fragments store for direct instertion
- Code execution timer
- Comprehensive help
- GUI preferences